Google+ Followers

Tuesday, 29 November 2011

The Siege of Quebec part 1

This was a battle my son and I played. The figures used were 1/72 Zeveda Russians and Swedish repainted as British and French.
Attack on Beauport Lines July, 1759 (played 11/7/11)

British troops:                            French troops:

Grenadier companies of                  Compaigne Frances de la Marine


58th/60th/78th/Louisbourg                  Royal Roussillon/

Grenadiers/                             Milice du Montreal/Bearn Regt./

Reserve:                                Guyenne Regt./La Sarre Regt./


Light Infantry and Rangers/                  Milice du Trois-Rivieres

58th.                                      Huron warriors

Monckton being ordered by Wolfe to probe the Beauport lines took his orders a bit far by not only making a demonstration, but attempted to pierce the lines. When the Grenadier battalion landed on the beach, they scaled the cliffs opposite the French entrenchments linking up with the rangers and light infantry on the cliff top. The 78th also followed along with the 28th, 17th, 48th, and 60th. The rangers deployed in open order but failed to take heed of the redoubt to their front which held a French gun with French sailors. Meanwhile, as the Grenadiers were attempting to cross the river at the top of the falls, Montcalm had sent out his Indians and militia to harass them. Monckton was forced to commit more troops to hold up the line. The rest of the brigade advanced towards St. Charles gate but were held up by the same redoubt which was delaying the ranger attack. Believing themselves to be safe from the artillery, they began their advance only to be taken out by canister! The Indians continued to snipe at the Grenadiers who were falling thick and fast. The 78th was commited to reinforce the Grenadiers but the Indians would not disperse. A bayonet charge achieved nothing but casualties on the British. The Royal Artillery was able to bring up much needed gun support and began bombarding the redoubt. Eventually the gun was put out of action and the regular troops stormed the redoubt. As they took possession, they then were faced with artillery fire from the St. Charles bastion which pummeled them while the French sailors counter-attacked. The British were swept out of the redoubt and sent packing. The Indians and militia had been pounded with artillery and musketry but still held their ground. Finally Monckton could see that he was unable to break the French lines nor hold any position without more troops. Quebec was safe for another day. Photos to follow laterGrenadier, 17th Regiment of Foot, 1750s
Grenadier, 17th Regiment of Foot, 1750s
The 17th Regiment of Foot arrived at Halifax in 1757. It took part in the siege of Louisbourg as part of Brigadier James Wolfe's brigade. The 17th’s grenadiers were surprised by a French sortie on 9 July 1758. Their captain, Lord Dundonald, and part of the company were killed. The regiment was later part of General Amherst’s army, advancing up Lake Champlain in 1759 and down the Richelieu River in 1760. It fought at Île-aux-Noix and was at the surrender of Montreal in September 1760. (Library of the Canadian Department of National Defence)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.