Monday 24 December 2012

Merry Christmas 2012

Another Christmas in the trenches so to speak.
Living in Japan during the holiday period can be different. First of all, Christmas is NOT a family holiday in Japan. It's slowly becoming a kids day, but it's still the reserve of couples who want to say, share the mistletoe.

This years events took place on December 24, as it was a national holiday, in lieu of the Emperor's birthday which fell on December 23, which was a Sunday, so Monday was given off.
We allowed our kids to open their presents about 10:30 am. They were happy.

I was also able to finally find the Disney DVD of BRAVE, which the recent releases at Toys R Us are in the area with the video games.

We had a tree, with stockings.






Our Christmas meal this year was MEATLOAF! Turkey is a bit hard to come by and is darn expensive when you do find it.

But I was able to make mashed potatoes, onion/mushroom gravy and maple-butter carrots. My grandmother's recipie.

I've got some pretty good friends, a few years back, I invited my Canadian co-worker and her sisters to my place for Christmas dinner. It was nice to share a turkey and some Nova Scotian hospitality.
Every year since, they send a nice care package of my favorite Tim Horton's coffee, and candies for my children.
It's a little something but it means alot to us.
Ian building his Pirates of the Carribean set

Mum andLeena opening her Barbies

Time to play with our dolls






The only turkey I will have this year.

Japanese christmas cake

chopped carrots which I would make into maple butter ones

I don't have mashed potatoes shot but one of poutine



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.